Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMi day two

- Chapter one -> four = complete
- Chapter five = in progress

Word Count: 6970/25,000
Story = 27% complete
Art = 0%

Extract:
“Hey mates, take a gander at this 'un!”

“Why, aint's she a fair dinkum little piece o' sport and all on her lonesome too.”

Yer wanna be the one to take the first bite?”

Too righty. Yer got to lead the strike last time.”

Bonza.”

Aroha froze as the nonsensical words came to her, blown by an errant gust of wind. It was very early in the morning, and she was digging about for some tasty grub. Three black and white shapes were flapping through the air towards her.

Could this be the Whiteback gang?


At this rate the story will actually go longer than the intended 25000 words. My characters keep having dialogue and that really helps the word count!

My writing today was disrupted by my "writing for children" course. In which we discussed the importance of dialogue in stories. Dialogue helps the reader to really get to know the characters, gives the characters the chance to drive the plot.

I apologise for my over-use of Aussie slang - but they ARE Australian Magpies. And cliches can be fun. I was toying with the idea of calling them Ned, Kelly and Bruce, but I haven't figured out how to work their names into the plot without it sounding contrived.

Now I just have to stop them killing my protagonist.


There will be some art tomorrow. I have three completed pictures to show, but two need a minor edit for accuracy. That'll teach me for not learning about cuckoo foot structure before adding in feet!

No comments: