Thursday, November 15, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012, Day 15

Wordcount:  Daily = 1,217 , Total = 27,020
Percentage: 54.0 (108% of target)
 I didn't think I'd get any writing done today - I really didn't. I got up earlyish, to be sure, but spent the morning sorting out some calendars and Christmas cards for posting. Then I worked for like... forever... Thursday is my longest shift and by the end of it I was pretty knackered.

I guess I found my second wind.

It took me a while to get the kaka conversing properly - because I wasn't sure exactly how they would react to Tiriki. Then one of them starting spouting off about Chosen One's and so forth, and I decided to go with that. It might be cliched but *shrugs*.

So, Tiriki currently has a couple of groupies in the form of young female kaka - Rata and Maia.

Here's their story:
Rata and me are sisters,” Maia explained. “We were stolen from our nest before our eyes even opened.”
I remember the whole world being warm and my mother's gentle voice singing songs to me,” said Rata. “My belly was full and my head was heavy. Then there was noise, mother screeching, screeching. A strong and horrible smell that made my nostrils burn and my head feel even fuzzy. Then more screeching, and I was cold, then something grabbed me, wrapped tight about my body and I thought the life was going to be squeezed from me. Then everything was cold and smelt sharp and sterile and I could feel my sister beside me as we were moved, bump-bump-bump along. Still, in the distance I could hear mother screeching, calling out our names over and over and over again. I tried to answer, but my throat was sore from the burning smell.” She shuddered. “After that, we were fed and we were kept warm, but we never saw our mother, not ever. The first thing I saw – when I opened my eyes for the very first time, was the Provider's face staring down at me. It was so big it took up the whole world, and I thought he was going to eat me. So I squeaked and squeaked, but he just laughed and shoved a tube into my beak and squeezed some food into my gullet.”

 I guess Maia is into Tell and Rata prefers Show.

Rata is a natural born story-teller.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And here's a paper on how Kea and Kaka play:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1033&context=bioscibehavior
Research for my novel!

Tiriki has just met the Kaka family. I'll find names for them in the Maori dicitionaries at work today - IF I have time!

No comments: