Friday, June 4, 2010

In Loving Tribute

There are some people in this world that you never forget, some people that truly touch your heart. One such person was Fiona Casey. Our parents were friends, and when we were young we used to visit one another, then time moved on and we moved apart. A couple of years ago, our family caught up again and I got to see Fiona for the first time in probably close to 20 years. I was impressed by her spirit and her attitude and after that we chatted occasionally on Facebook, but we did not have the opportunity to meet face-to-face again.

In February, two months before my wedding, Fiona passed away. Her sister and parents attended the wedding and I was pleased to have them there.

After seeing my art, her mother asked if I would be interested in illustrating some of Fiona's poems, written when she was in High School. I was honoured to accept. They are largely metaphorical, and have a somewhat melancholic edge, so I hope that I can do them justice. I illustrated the first one today, and I show it here with the poem included. If her family would prefer that I did not share her poem, I will be happy to remove it.



Unfortunately, my scanner has issues with bright red... I'll need to work with that if I'm going to make prints of this.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy Fiona's bittersweet poem and my whimsical illustration. This is her original handwriting too, photocopied from her book.

No comments: