Tuesday, June 7, 2011

SocNoc, day 7

Today's Wordcount: 1,804
Total Wordcount: 18,445
(includes the part written before SocNoc - 4143 words)
Percentage: 28.6%

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be a very long novel. I'm over quarter of the way into the 50k challenge and my party of heroes have yet to even leave home. Still, won't be long now - I'm setting that up nicely. And my characters are spending a fair amount of time bickering.

Also just placed an order for the "BBC: Madagascar DVD". It's Zone 2, which means I get to have all the fun of trying to work out how to make my DVD player change zone (it's a bit of a fiddle) but I am too impatient to wait until it is released in NZ. Plus I have purchased it plus 2 cds - for less than $60 NZ. And we wonder why the local retail market is collapsing... Anyhow, the dvd would be good for research. Also, looking through my photographs of our amazing holiday in Madagscar. So I might as well liven up this post with some photographs, instead of an extract.


Spiny forest of Ifaty, South-east Madagascar - where this story begins.


Verraeux's sifaka - this could be Matthieu. Or his sister, Celeste.


Ringtail lemurs (maki) - Karrazana and Reniko, maybe? Except that this setting is somewhat less natural than those found in the book.

The two lemur pictures were taken at Berenty, where lemurs fall from the trees, although they also live in Ifaty, we failed to see any in our time spent there. In Berenty we had them in our cabin and on our roof. It was wonderful!

No comments: