Monday, October 27, 2014

Creature Feature #373: Kelpfish

There are several species of Kelpfish, a term generally given to members of the Chironemus Genus and found in Australia and New Zealand. There is also a not-particularly-closely related species from America, known as the Giant Kelpfish. This is the species I have inadvariantly drawn here, showing I should really check my facts before I get started. Anyway, the Giant Kelpfish is a clinid. He stays close to the coasts, inhabiting kelp beds, from California down to southern Baja California. His diet consists mainly of invertebrates such as crustaceans and molluscs, as well as other fish. He can grow up to 61 cm in length.

I guess I need to either draw a different fish (perhaps this out of focus NZ species - http://www.nationalaquarium.co.nz/kelp-fish.asp) or find another critter that starts with K. Or maybe not, since about the only information I can find about them is that they are fish.

No comments: