Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Zealand's Darkest Day

I'm sure the world has heard by now - but in a gruesome follow-up to the September 4th, 2010 earthquake - a 7.1 that caused quite a bit of damage to my beloved home city, on 22nd February, 2011, a 6.3 has devastated it.

It may not sound as though it were as big - but it was only 30 km from the central city and less than 10 km deep. The surface velocity was extreme - as was the damage. Massive damage to the "character" buildings of the CBD, serious liquifaction and damage to the infrastructure. Also... multiple casualties. Currently the death toll stands at 123, with over 200 people still missing.

It is nature's equivalent of 9/11 in terms of loss of life and economic damage.

My husband and I are okay - and our family and friends are accounted for.

Thank you to those of you that have expressed concern.

I am currently conceptualising a fundraising blog in the style of http://ripplesketch.blogspot.com which raised $10,000+ for the Gulf Oil Spill. I will not be able to get this underway until friday at the earliest (when I hope I will have reliable power, internet and a working scanner).

1 comment:

Christine said...

I am sure I could do something to help.