Sunday, July 22, 2012

The 3000th Milestone

This is the 3000th piece of mail art I have created since August 2005, when I first discovered ATCs. For this significant milestone, I decided I could not just make any card - but I had to make something important.

I selected the Ten of Waves because it is one of the most delightful cards in the tarot deck - and I need to get my tarot deck completed. This card represents emotional fulfilment - a happy family life - not necessary rich in financial gain, but rich in love and affection.

To represent it, I chose the Maui's Dolphin, a subspecies of Hector's dolphin. This particular subspecies is one of the rarest sea mammals in the world and there are less than 50 adult animals left - therefore if a pair were to bear twins like this - then it would be a cause for celebration. Alas, due to the NZ government (withdrawing funds from conservation) and deep net fishing, the Maui's dolphin does not currently have any cause for celebration, but hopefully the more recent awareness of their plight shall help to change that.

No comments: