Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My next Big Project


(These pictures were illustrated in 2008)

June is going to be another big month for me, because Kiwi Writers Unite have unleashed a new challenge - SocNoc. SocNoc is very similar to Nanowrimo except that it is for the Southern Hemisphere only and it is a bit more flexible with the rules. For me it is an excuse/motivation to write my Epic Fantasy Novel.

This story has been conceptualising in my brain for a while now - since 2008 when I designed these trading cards, in fact. It is about an evil ruler of a failing country, a lost heir and the valiant struggle of a peasant against the odds.

Do I hear you say *yawn* you've heard this before?

Well, maybe not so much... And not just because obviously all the characters are lemurs and it is set in a sort of alternate-world Madagascar, but because I suspect with the tendency of my characters to do strange things, and my own brain to run off on a wild tangent it will hopefully be something a little bit different and not too gimmicky.

And if it is, well at least it stars lemurs. And lemurs make everything better.

You can follow my progress on this blog, which I will be updating daily with my wordcount and any quotes or challenges I have experienced that day, much as I did for November last year.

Here is some changes to my lifestyle that I will need to make to suceed in this challenge:
1. Get up an hour earlier to give me writing time (that means 5 am on a workday, folks)
2. Forgo drawing excessive amounts of Pokemon or other art (NO ATC trades, sorry)
3. Waste at least 20 mins a day on research that will end up with me running off to webpages on a wild tangent (when writing "Aroha's Grand Adventure" I spent 20 mins trying to find out if eating a cigarette butt would be fatal to a bird, then how many apple pips she'd have to eat before it caused illness... Eventually I realised that it was irrelevant to the plot and I could just leave that bit out.

Therefore for the next week I need to finish up making the following cards:
* May PAT - reptile, bird, face, pelican
* Draw-your-own-characters swap - 4 of my own characters
(faeries or lemurs?)
At least my Major Arcana are complete!

And here's the summary of characters I wrote up back in 2008. This may have changed somewhat. Not sure what happened to Leaf for a start! And I think I'll do away with the prophecy.

Eeek! I have just discovered the June 4th is Drawing Day so that is one day when I shall NOT be writing, but drawing as many Art Cards as I can. Probably Pokemon, because I don't have to spend too much time thinking about what I'm drawing.

No comments: